10 Essential Items for your Backpack this School Year
It’s that time of year again! So grab your backpack and fill it with essential items that will help you succeed this school year. Need some ideas to ensure nothing is forgotten and that you are prepared for anything (well, almost anything!) this year may have in store? Here is a handy list to help you pack your backpack this year:
- Athletic shoes: Grab your favorite pair of running shoes! Comfy and supportive shoes are great to have on hand for long periods of standing or any fitness-related activities you and your students may part take in. Having your shoes at the ready also means you are able to go for a quick walk or run during lunch or after school!
- Agenda/planner: Time management is one of the most important strategies to tackling any day. Use an agenda or planner to stay organized and manage all the important tasks during your busy week. The perfect agenda can be digital on your personal cell phone or a traditional pen and notebook style. Find your best way to stay organized early-on and you’ll keep on track throughout the year!
- Game time: Take the time to get active, stretch, set goals, and play! Don’t forget to pack Ophea’s 50 Fitness Activity Cards. This set of activity cards gives you the opportunity to easily get in your daily physical activity during short breaks and is a great way to set fitness challenges for yourself.
- Headphones: Remember your favorite pair of headphones! Before, during breaks or after school this can make it easier to take a quick mental break, help to concentrate productivity during your spare time or pump you up for your next task.
- Water bottle: Staying hydrated is essential. Make sure to pack your favorite water bottle to use throughout the day and on-the-go. There are so many water bottles available in a range of sizes with appealing designs to suit everyone’s style. Choose the perfect one for you!
- Healthy lunch and snacks: Bringing a nutritious lunch and/or snacks is the perfect way to re-energize yourself throughout the day and ensure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. Find out what you should incorporate into your delicious lunch and snack from the newly updated Canadian Food Guide. Try out new recipes in advance to make sure that you aren’t rushing to find new ideas every evening.
- Stress buster: Make space in your backpack for a small stress reliever that can be both fun and beneficial to your mental and physical well being. Pack a stress ball or stress band to help increase your concentration, relieve stress and work your hand and arm muscles. Check out this article from Family Living Today for some ideas on choosing the best stress reliever for you!
- Technology: Be sure to pack your phone or tablet and chargers to stay connected and organized. Technology is also a great tool for you and your classroom to use to access learning tools and educational activities.
- Sun protection: Pack a pair of sunglasses, a hat, and sunscreen to protect yourself from the dangers of UV rays. Having these items on hand makes them easy to grab as you head out for morning drop off, afternoon pick up, and recess duty or when taking your classroom outside to participate in outdoor activities.
- Sanitizer: It’s always important to keep germs at bay. Sanitizer is an easy way to clean your hands when coming in from recess or at the completion of an activity and the perfect way to disinfect before eating that nutritious lunch and snack you have packed.
Having all the essentials in your backpack helps ensure you are as prepared as possible for all the school day has in store and makes it easier to maintain a healthy and lifestyle all year round.