Build Your Own Picnic Basket!
Summer season also means picnic season! Grab the family and head to a nearby park for some summer fun. The park can be a great place for a picnic with all the grass and open space to have fun and relax. A park with a playground is a bonus when picnicking with kids, allowing them to run, climb, and use their imagination. However, finding the perfect picnic spot is only the start, putting together the picnic basket can be just as exciting!
In need of some fun picnic item ideas? This blog shares essential summer picnic basket items to get the family out, active, and having fun!
In an outdoor space there are several activities that can help get the family physically active. Check out this list of portable activities you can add right into your picnic basket:
- Ophea’s BrainBlitz: Includes 25 bilingual activity cards that helping enhance movement skills through various themes. Themes include: meditation and relaxation, dance and rhythm, movement and physical activity, balance and yoga, and life skills. Activities are easy-to-use, suitable for all ages, and work great for outdoor picnic settings!
- Musical Beanbag: Have the family sit in a circle, select a song, grab a beanbag, and pick a word (i.e. “grasshopper”). While the music is playing, toss the beanbag to any member in the circle. When the music stops the person holding it must say the first letter, and then start the music again and repeat. Continue until the word is spelt completely.
- Badminton: Grab a badminton set and set the family up into teams. Get creative and make it an adult versus kid’s game for some fun competition. Play a simple game of up in the air badminton. Toss the shuttle in the air, throw it between players and count how many times it is tossed before hitting the ground.
What’s a picnic basket without refreshing and tasty summer inspired food?! Here are some amazing recipe ideas to inspire you for your next picnic outing:
- Watermelon Pizza: This recipe is packed with thirst quenching fruits, tasty yogurt, and nutritional benefits. It is super easy to prepare and pack in a picnic basket. All you need is a watermelon, Greek yogurt and a variety of other fruits.
- Sandwich on a stick: These are easy and fun to make for the entire family. All you need are sandwich ingredients cut into small triangles or squares such as bread, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, etc.
- Macaroni Salad: Salads are perfect for an outdoor picnic as they’re easy to prepare and easy to store. This cold macaroni salad is nutritious, flavourful, and refreshing on a hot summer day.
Don’t forget to keep hydrated with lots of cold water!
Now that the fun activities and tasty foods are packed, it’s time to add in a few more picnic summer essentials:
- A large blanket to spread on the grass
- Sunscreen and bug repellent
- Trash bags for clean up
- Utensils for all the tasty food
- A mini first aid kit in case of minor cuts or splinters
With all these items packed, it’s time to grab your sunglasses, hat, comfy shoes, and head out for a fun and active picnic!
How do you get active during family picnics? What are your favourite picnic basket summer essentials to pack? Share your ideas/tips with us on Twitter or Facebook tagging @OpheaCanada.
*Items shared in this blog were not sponsored.