Holiday Tips from Ophea Staff
The holiday season is here! This time of the year can be busy, stressful and down-right hectic. We forget to cherish the joys the holidays bring us; the muted alarm clocks, warm slippers, smiles and memories shared. Most often, in the midst of busy schedules, we neglect to focus on personal well-being and staying active.
Ophea staff want to help keep your well-being in check over the holidays and new year. The following is a list of tips from our staff that can help kick-start a healthy and active holiday:
- Plan active outings (i.e. skating, snow tubing, or laser tag) with friends to catch up over the holiday season! Kristin
- Practice self-care. The holidays can be a stressful time. Be mindful of your emotional and mental needs. It is ok to take a step back from the festivities if need be. Stephanie
- Remember to be grateful. Donate an hour, a morning, a day or more of your time to a local charity and/or charity event. Fay
- End each holiday party with a dance party. Turn up the jams and get moving! Dance moves can be light in intensity (stepping or swaying to the beat) or high in intensity (busting out the high kicks and jazz hands!). Ashley
- Many spring races have registration that opens in November and December. Register for a race now and start your training during the holidays with a goal in mind! (My plan is the Harry Rosen Spring Run-Off) Sara
- Visiting family this holiday season? Ask them what they do to stay active and join in! Sara
- Have a sweat date! When meeting up with friends do something active, versus meeting for a drink. Combine your social with sweat and have fun on the move. Heather
- Take the lead on snow shoveling duty. Ken
- Practice those snow angel making skills! Melissa
- Go skating outdoors! If you are skating on a pond, lake or river, make sure the ice is thick enough to skate on (15cm advised by redcross.ca)! Clint
- Take the opportunity to connect with a family member or friend and arrange a walk date. Greg S.
- Amongst the busyness stay positive and just enjoy the season. Smile, avoid stress triggers and remember to be thankful. Stephane
- Participate in a holiday-themed run or walking event! Vanessa
What tips can you add to the list?
Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!
The Ophea Staff Team