Healthy Schools Certification
Healthy Schools Certification
Celebrate Your Healthy School!
Ophea’s Healthy Schools Certification (HS Certification) recognizes and celebrates school communities for promoting and enhancing the health and well-being of students, school staff, and the broader community.
Updates for 2020/21 School Year!
HS Certification has undergone several program revisions in preparation for the 2020-2021 school year.
These revisions include:
- Simplifying the school reporting process (including reducing and streamlining reporting questions and assigned points)
- Removing all document upload requirements (including uploading a principal support letter at registration and supporting documentation across each process step)
- Extending the final program reporting deadline into early May 2021
- Developing COVID-19 Support Resources to help schools implement the HS Certification program with consideration to different COVID-19 scenarios (e.g., in school learning, remote learning)
Impact of COVID-19
Given impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the health and well-being of students, staff, and the broader community remains a priority in schools. However, implementation of Ophea’s Healthy Schools Certification will need to look different during the 2020-2021 school year. In response, Ophea has developed COVID-19 Support Resources to provide tips for how schools can implement the 6-Step Healthy Schools Process (including a catalogue of activity ideas across different health topics that can be run for students in school and remotely/online). These resources will continue to be updated over the course of the school year as more information becomes available.
Goals of Ophea’s Healthy Schools Certification
- Support and increase the capacity of schools across Ontario to address a priority health topic through the effective implementation of the 6-Step Healthy Schools Process
- Improve student, staff, and community engagement on health and well-being
- Celebrate and formally recognise an individual school’s achievements relating to Healthy Schools
How Does My School Register?
Registration begins on Tuesday, October 13th at noon ET and remains open until Friday, November 27th at noon ET. Here is a list of what’s needed for registration. Schools that have not registered can still access the 2020-2021 Guidebook to help support their school in being a healthier school and to plan for next year.
How Does My School Get Certified?
By completing the 6-Step Healthy Schools Process over the course of the school year, schools who have registered in the Fall will earn points and can apply to be certified in the Spring as a Gold, Silver, or Bronze level Healthy School. Certification is based on a school’s ability to follow and complete the process and not on the type or number of activities chosen so it’s flexible and adaptable for all school communities. School certification levels are announced in May of each year and a banner is sent to certified schools celebrating their level.
Feel free to contact us!